Wednesday, May 05, 2010

parenthood

D and I entered the parenthood world a little over 3.5 years ago and we did NOT get our manual! for either one of them, because they each require their own. This is one of those on the job training, learn as you go kinda gigs, and your kids are your teachers. Every morning I say a little prayer, usually something along the lines of "please let me make it through this day and not screw them up too bad". I think we do a pretty good job of balancing each other out in the parent department. We are not the helicopter parents, constantly hovering over them. Nor are we the blind parents, letting our kids wreak havoc on other peoples homes and belongings, oblivious that our kids are being little turds. I know that I am more laid back then D. I have been known to call him freak-out-freddie, but at the end of the day I think we land on the same page. OK maybe I let them drink too much juice, eat too much sugar, and miss an occasional nap in the name of fun, but there will be plenty of time for freaking out when they are teenagers :)






some of my favorite parenthood quotes:
Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum
and so it seems they are always watching when we are doing things we shouldn't be doing.

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. ~Lane Olinghouse
so so true...

I love to play hide and seek with my kid, but some days my goal is to find a hiding place where he can't find me until after high school. ~Author Unknown
come on... I know it has crossed your mind :)

No comments: