Monday, August 30, 2010

chickens and a cow

We headed out mid-week to see Uncle Bret. The kids always have a ball there. The house is full of sugar and he lets you climb aaallll over the furniture. We got in a good hike and found a mother load of mushrooms, chantrells and porchinies, yummy!

mags even found a nice hill to roll down....

We returned to start the craziness of canning in this house. We have made a ton of pesto! Only a quarter of my basil remains. D ran into a friend on the way to the farmers market to pick up pickling cucumbers. She told him that they were also pickling and had left over pickles. When I stopped by to pick them up their leftovers were four boxes worth. This is what it looked like after the kids and I washed them and put them in an ice bath....

and this is what 40 large jars and 5 small jars of pickles look like....

This week will be choke-cherry and strawberry-rhubarb jelly and soon the tomatoes.... Now all I need is a cow and some chickens and I can avoid my weekly grocery trips :)

3 comments:

Dani Spivey said...

Yummy! You guys are so awesome! I really need to get my butt up to Colorado to have some of that pesto and those pickles! XO

Franklund said...

Yes, you do need to get your butt to CO! I will set aside some goodies for the Spiveys.... in trade for some vino...lol! Plus D has a large amount of fireworks that are for the boys.

We will meet you half-way :)

Shannon said...

Yummy, but that looks like a lot of work! I am impressed! :)